Kefir- Industrial preparations, Constructional details & storage data.

Hi Food techs!

we all know very well that kefir is a fermented milk product using kefir grains. but how the industrial production of kefir is done & the machineries or construction is unknown to many. Also the storage conditions under room temperature & Refrigerated conditions datum is necessary to be considered. Pls provide some information regarding the above Discussion.

Views: 1899

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dear Vigneshwaran,

Its good to see your active participation in this forum and will try to answer your all queries through knowledge of industry experts. Well Kefir is a quite popular product in European markets and slowly gaining attention in Indian markets too after the yoghurt revolution has started and people have started liking the fermented milk kind of products. I am attaching a PDF copy wherein you will find the detailed explanation about Kefir and hope that will serve your purpose. Will wait for expert comments too from other fellow members.

With Regards,

Pankaj Sharma

Attachments:

Dear Pankaj

You have given complete detail of kefir. Good info.

For those who dont have patience to read entire book (like me :) ), some information is as follows. Source is Handbook of dairy processing

Kefir is one of the oldest cultured milk products. It originates from the Caucasus region. The raw material is milk from goats, sheep or cows Kefir is one of the oldest cultured milk products. Kefir should be viscous and homogenous, and have a shiny surface. The taste should be fresh and acid, with a slight flavour of yeast. The pH of the product is usually 4.3 – 4.4. A special culture, known as Kefir grain, is used for the production of Kefir. The grains consist of proteins, polysaccharides and a mixture of several types of micro-organisms, such as yeasts and aroma and lactic-acid forming bacteria. The yeasts represent about 5 – 10% of the total microflora. The Kefir grains are yellowish in colour and about the size of a cauliflower florette, i.e. about 15 to 20 mm in diameter.

They are insoluble in water and in most solvents. When steeped in milk, the grains swell and become white. During the fermentation process, the lactic-acid bacteria produce lactic acid, whereas the lactose-fermenting yeast cells produce alcohol and carbon dioxide. Some breakdown of protein also takes place in the yeast metabolism, from which Kefir derives its special yeast aroma. The contents of lactic acid, alcohol and carbon dioxide are controlled by the incubation temperature during production.  

A. The yoghurt bacteria Lactobacillus bulgaricus (rod shaped) and Streptococcus thermophilus (spherical) live together.

B. Yeast and lactic acid bacteria at the surface of a kefir grain. The “ball” in the centre is a yeast fungus and the rods are different kinds of bacteria.

C. The centre of a kefir grain. Yeast and bacteria are united by a network consisting mainly of proteins and polysaccharides.  

Process flow

Thank you sir
thank you sir. I promise that i ll keep up the good work sir.

Pankaj Sharma said:

Dear Vigneshwaran,

Its good to see your active participation in this forum and will try to answer your all queries through knowledge of industry experts. Well Kefir is a quite popular product in European markets and slowly gaining attention in Indian markets too after the yoghurt revolution has started and people have started liking the fermented milk kind of products. I am attaching a PDF copy wherein you will find the detailed explanation about Kefir and hope that will serve your purpose. Will wait for expert comments too from other fellow members.

With Regards,

Pankaj Sharma

Dear friends

How can I dowload the all about kefir pdf? I have a problem to permission to get this file.

Pankaj Sharma said:

Dear Vigneshwaran,

With Regards,

Pankaj Sharma

Dear friends

there are many diffirences between traditional and idustrail production of kefir, in indrustial production we use to DVS or bulk strater not grain, because of this there are diffirent condition for growing microorganism of every kind of starter, generally using starter culture we dont need time to rippening. but the quality of industrial production is lower that traditional, I have some problems to production a high quality kefir. I hope you can help me.

thank you so much

RSS

© 2019   Created by Student, Foodpathshala.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service