Are hydrogenated vegetable oils harmful in terms of daily use i.e.home made food preparations as these are highly saturated? Are refined vegetables oils a better option or we should only use desi ghee??

Views: 118

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I appreciate this discussion Ms. Anjali.

The whole topic revolves around stability and balance.In order to understand this discussion.

Let's focus on few terms:1. high density lipoprotein(good cholesterol), 2. low density lipoprotein (bad cholesterol), 3.Rancidity & lipid oxidation, 4. shelf life, 5. tans fat, 6. hydrogenation, 7. saturated and unsaturated fat, etc

All fats can develop a rancid taste and smell when exposed to oxygen. Manufacturers have three imperfect ways to prevent this: using an airtight seal combined with refrigeration, adding antioxidants to compete for the oxygen or by hydrogenation, which stabilizes the oil but also creates trans fats.

Hydrogenated oils have undergone a chemical process that adds hydrogen atoms to monounsaturated or polyunsaturated fats to reduce the number of double bonds. This process increases their shelf life by making the fats more saturated and therefore less prone to become rancid. 

Some trans fats result when hydrogen is added to vegetable oil through the process of hydrogenation. Trans fats are more solid than oil and less likely to spoil, so the food has a longer shelf life.

Most fats contain a mixture of saturated, monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fatty acids. When vegetable oils are partially hydrogenated, they become spreadable margarines. Fatty acids that are fully loaded with hydrogen atoms are saturated and usually solid at room temperature. Animal fats, such as butter, beef tallow and lard, as well as tropical oils, such as coconut and palm, consist mostly of saturated fatty acids. 

Hydrogenation has two advantages. It prolongs shelf life and alters the texture of foods. Hydrogenated fats make flaky pie crusts and creamy puddings. A disadvantage of hydrogenation is that it makes polyunsaturated fats more saturated and lowers their health advantages. Another disadvantage is that some of the molecules that remain unsaturated change shape and become trans fatty acids. This different shape affects their function in your body. Trans fatty acids behave more like saturated fats than like unsaturated fats and they may have similar adverse effects on your health.

Hydrogenated fats raise cholesterol and therefore increase your risk of heart disease. They raise your low-density lipoprotein, “bad” cholesterol, and lower your high-density lipoprotein, “good” cholesterol, so this combination of low HDL and high LDL increases your risk of heart disease in two ways. Cardiovascular disease is the leading cause of death in both men and women.

Research have also found trans fat(source:hydrogenated vegetable oil) as cancer causing. 

Ghee is naturally stable fat which result in good cholesterol to our body.Also,naturally solid fat form doesn't have trans fat.

Refined oil is 2nd option other than ghee which doesn't have tans fat in it.

Topic doesn't end that the hydrogenated oil which we buy is the sole culprit, we ourself could also be the reason to generate trans fat in our kitchen.e.g- when we use the same veg. oil repeatedly or for very longer period(deep fry), it also results in structural changes of fat and result in trans fat.

Your further queries are welcome, will nominate some more professional to clarify this topic.

Thanks a lot Sir. Now topic is much more clear to me. Actually I am mother of a 2 yr old and very much concerned about the his diet. So these type of questions often come in my mind.I conclude that we shouldn't buy hydrogenated oil for daily use.
Edible vegetable oil is what?? Hydrogenated or refined..?? as I have seen it as an ingredient on mostly food packages i.e. chips,biscuits etc.

Well, Ms. Anjali,

Hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated fat are used most often in snacks and chips industry to provide better textural property.Another fat used are naturally occuring polusaturated and monosaturated fat which provide better textural property.

Hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated fat shouldn't be preferred as the process involved in hydrogenation is itself a reason for generation of trans-fat in it.

Anjali said:

Thanks a lot Sir. Now topic is much more clear to me. Actually I am mother of a 2 yr old and very much concerned about the his diet. So these type of questions often come in my mind.I conclude that we shouldn't buy hydrogenated oil for daily use.
Edible vegetable oil is what?? Hydrogenated or refined..?? as I have seen it as an ingredient on mostly food packages i.e. chips,biscuits etc.
Thanks for the information sir.

RSS

© 2019   Created by Student, Foodpathshala.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service